Water Barrel Construction

Today Proff JJ, Pat and I were fully commited to getting the rain barrel water collection system underway. Mid-June I suggested Pat and I go to a rain barrel demonstration presentation put on by the Summit County master gardener program with expert Jeff Taiclet. We went and sat in for the rain barrel presentation and a presentation on rain gardens, all intended to conserve water and reduce the effects of run-off. We collected a parts list and some other local water conservation publications to use in our own construction.

Today Proff JJ and I went to home depot to buy the parts while Pat prepped our 55 gallon food grade barrel donated to us by John Najeway at Thirsty Dog Brewery. Later on, Pat and I picked up an atrium drain grate at Lowes to substitute a grated lilly basket (which was on the parts list) as a filter. I have come to learn that compromising with hardware is not a crime. Whatever gets the job done!

The 3 pictures of the blue rain barrel are an example of how ours will likely end up. Except, our barrel is going to be a double barrel collection system. I snapped a few shots of the barrel while passing by on bike through a nearby neighborhood (creepy, I know, but i was inspired!).

About smegas

I am a rising sophomore at Wooster blogging about my summer internship with The Center of Entrepreneurship. Myself and a fellow intern are working to construct an Organic Classroom and Garden at St. Sebastian Parish School in Akron, OH.